English Vocabulary Guide
Vocabulary simply means words, and English vocabulary means lots and lots of words.
Just think of English vocabulary as the bricks of the language, and to help you build up your vocabulary we have organised these pages using a thematic approach and used lots and lots of pictures and sounds to go with the words.
A picture can paint a thousand words
armchair | backbone | backlog | bedspring
bittersweet | blackmail | bolthole
brainstorm | breadbin | butterfly
cardboard | carpet | chairman | Christmas tree
copyright | earring
fingerprint | firework | flagship | freehold | friendship | frostbite
grasshopper | gridlock | gunpowder
haircut | headdress | headphones | heartbreak
lipstick | livestock | loanshark | loophole
manhandle | mastercopy | nightcap | nightmare | overhear
pigtail | pillowcase | ponytail | receivership
scarecrow | sinkhole | skyscraper
soapbox | stepladder
teamwork | timesheet | timetable | tiptoe | toothpaste
wallpaper | waterfall | whitewash | workmanship | workout
More Vocabulary Practice
Do you want more of a challenge? Get involved and learn by doing.
How to use these pages:-
Double click on any word for its definition and to listen to the pronunciation.
- Learn the basic words at the beginning of each theme.
- Do the vocabulary tests.
- Search for different images on Google Images and make a collection of links for each word.
- Review the words regularly.
- Make sure you know the words at the beginning of each theme.
- Study the build-up section and dialogues at the end of each section.
- Do the games and tests.
- Make up your own dialogues (you can share them with us on the forum, and we will correct them).
- Go to the expanded themes page.
- You should already know all the words at the beginning of each theme.
- You should be able to understand the build-up section and dialogues at the end of each section.
- You should be able to comfortably read the culture articles for each section.
- Write your own guide to the culture in your country for each theme (you can share it with us on the forum, and we will correct them).