Spoken English and Written English on the Network
Chat and Conversational English Practice
I hear and I forget
I listen and I understand
I do and I remember
Just remember - "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."
One of the things that makes the Learn English Network different to your average website is the input you can have to its content and the accessiblity of the people who run it. You can do this on the Learn English forum and on the following online services:-
If you don't want to join a forum try the Live Chat page.
If no one is around on Live Chat and you don't mind speaking to non human characters, chat with ALICE, the nice thing about her is she's awake 24/7.
Please follow the rules and guidelines below, by taking part in any of our sessions or using any of our services you agree to accept these rules.
Learn English on Skype / Join Me
The Learn English forum is a great way to practise your written English, and like everything on the Network it is provided as a free service. It is hosted by Vanilla, and supported in part by advertising and sponsorship. The forum allows you to contact us and to meet other people who are learning English, and other languages. Anyone can read the messages, but only members can add their own messages, or just say "Hello!".
The main purpose of the forum is to provide encouragement, advice, support, enjoyment, and [insert positive word here]! It is a friendly environment in which to share ideas and have fun. We sometimes repost in other sites, and we often discuss the posts made on the forum in other sessions. You may even have your posts read out loud.
When you first join you will only be able to reply to posts, this is only to discourage spammers and your levels increase as we get to know you, until eventually you will be able to create your own topics, share videos etc.
The forum is arranged into topics and you can always request a new topic by sending Lynne a "Private Message".
Click here to enter the forum - I agree with the terms.
By entering the forums you agree to follow the rules and guidelines.
Here are some of the benefits of membership:
- It's FREE!
- You can create a network of friends who are also learning English.
- You can send and receive Private Messages (PM's) to/from other members on your contact list.
- When you're logged in, you can see which posts are new since your last visit.
- You can choose to receive an email when someone replies to your post. (No need to keep checking back!)
- You can choose a custom picture.
- You can set up a profile.
- You can create a custom signature once you become an active participant.
- No need to put your email address in a post and expose it to the world. If you want a direct response, have them PM you through the forum for complete privacy.
- There are badges! You can also request language badges if you are looking for help with another language. The forum allows you to make direct contact with other members on an individual basis, there you can write in any language, and maybe set up a language exchange.
Please follow the rules and guidelines below, by taking part in any of our sessions or activities you agree to accept these rules.
We want to create a pleasant place for people to visit, where everyone feels valued and respected, therefore we have set up some rules and guidelines that we would like anyone who uses these services to follow.
In a nutshell:-
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
Leave any political / religious / border issue / personal quarrels at home.
The forums and all other services that LEN offers are for practising English, not for converting people to your religion or political persuasion.
Think of yourself as a guest in someone else's home and don't put your feet on the furniture.
If you have an axe to grind, there are plenty of other forums that will welcome you with open arms.
We reserve the right to ban anyone from using these services at any time and for any reason, this includes, but is not limited to:
- Abusive language.
- Incitement to hatred.
- Swearing - Even masked profanity!
- Use of inappropiate nicknames such as HotBabe!
- Disrespecting other visitors.
- Advertising products or services.
- Causing a disturbance.
- Purposefully annoying other visitors.
- Ranting about things not related to learning English. (Set up your own room if you want a rant.)
- Breaking any of these rules will result in your being banned.
Membership of the forum may be withdrawn if an account remains inactive (by inactive we mean no posts or views - you don't have to post.).
- We recommend that only adults use these services.
- Be nice to each other.
- Be kind to each other.
- Be welcoming to each other.
- English should be used at all times.
- Native speakers are welcome, please do take part in the reading or speaking sessions, it is great to listen to other accents. However, please refrain from answering questions that are obviously for the ESL/EFL students.
- Some people online may be dangerous. They may not be who you think they are. In order to protect yourself you should not tell them your real name, address or give them any personal or contact details or anything that would comprimise your location or identity.
- Because of phishing and other security issues please don't embed urls in posts - they will be removed. Rather post the full url address and then people can choose whether to cut and paste it into their browser.
- Don't give out your email address especially if it contains part or all of your name. The English Forum has a very good (free) messaging system which is like e-mail that you can use by becoming a member (free).
- Don't tell anyone details about your routine. For example don't tell them which college/university you go to or the places you like to go and when you'll be there.
- You are strongly advised to NEVER meet anyone that you know just from the Internet.
- Predatory, threatening, harassing and illegal behaviour will not be tolerated.
- Only English should be spoken (it doesn't matter how good or bad you are).
- Courtesy should be given to others.
- Respect should be shown to others.
- Remember people have different cultures, religions, views and beliefs. You might not agree with them, but that's no excuse to attack them personally.
- No Profanity! The use of vulgar or sexual language or references to such will not be tolerated.
- We realise some people are shy and therefore using a microphone in the discussion group is not compulsory, but do follow the topic when typing in the chat window.
- We recommend that you do not open URLs that are posted by other users whom you do not trust, they may contain links to viruses or sites with disturbing content. You can report anything suspicious to me, and I'll investigate like Miss Marple..
- Family friendly URL's that are relevant to a post may be posted. However URL's to other chat rooms, or to any form of advertisement or adult sites are not permitted. Posting of such URL's will result in being banned.
Just remember - "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".
The website(s), chat room, forum and conversation groups are provided as a free service. As such, there are no guarantees given or implied. Use of these services is at your own risk. Your use of these services constitutes an agreement that you will not hold the Network or our associates liable for anything said or done in the service to anyone at anytime, and that we will not be held liable in any case and for any reason.
Use of these services signifies that you are in total agreement to the terms contained here within. If you disagree with any of these terms, then please do not use these services. If you use the services and do not agree to these terms we can and will not be held responsible.
! All groups are monitored / moderated and any violations strictly dealt with.
!Do not give out personal information - address, telephone number etc!
!Use a special e-mail address (Google mail etc...)!