A noun is the word that refers to a person, thing or abstract idea. A noun can tell you who or what.
There are several different types of noun:-
- There are common nouns such as dog, car, chair etc.
- Nouns that refer to things which can be counted (can be singular or plural) are countable nouns.
- Nouns that refer to some groups of countable nouns, substances, feelings and types of activity (can only be singular) are uncountable nouns.
- Nouns that refer to a group of people or things are collective nouns.
- Nouns that refer to people, organisations or places are proper nouns, only proper nouns are capitalised.
- Nouns that are made up of two or more words are called compound nouns.
- Nouns that are formed from a verb by adding -ing are called gerunds