Have Fun Learning English
Halloween Recipe - Pumpkin Pie
A traditional dish from North America - perfect for Halloween
For the filling:-
Half a medium sized mashed, cooked pumpkin
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
2 eggs, beaten
165g of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of salt
For the pastry case:-
335g plain flour
1 teaspoon of salt
205g of margarine
120 ml cold water
The pie crust:-
- Prepare pie crusts by mixing together the flour and salt.
- Cut the margarine into the flour and lightly rub in.
- Add 1 tablespoon water to mixture at a time.
- Mix the dough and repeat until it's is moist enough to hold together.
- With lightly floured hands shape the dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured board roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Line the pie dish.
- Halve the pumpkin and scoop out seeds and stringy portions.
- Cut the pumpkin into chunks.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, in 1 inch of boiling water heat the pumpkin to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, cool and remove the peel.
- Return the pumpkin to the saucepan and mash with a potato masher.
- Drain well.
- In a large bowl, beat the pumpkin with evaporated milk, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake 40 minutes.