Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Roast Leg of Lamb
Traditionally eaten at Easter. Served with gravy.
Ingredients (serves 4 to 6)
1 leg of lamb (about 5 pounds)
The juice of a lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
1 to 2 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons dried crumbled rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Rinse the leg of lamb with cold water, pat it dry with a clean cloth or paper towels.
- With a small knife, make several tiny slits evenly over the lamb and insert slivers of the garlic.
- Rub the lamb with lemon juice.
- Mix the minced garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper and rub the mixture over the lamb.
- Place the leg, fat side up, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Roast in a preheated 325° oven for about 25 to 30 minutes per pound depending on how well you like it done.
To mix: To beat or stir food ingredients together until they are combined.
To rinse: To clean under running water.
To roast: To cook in the oven, usually with the addition of fat.