Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Gravy
When I'm making gravy I use the fat (dripping) from whatever meat I'm roasting. I make the gravy as the roast rests. You can add herbs to compliment the meat you're serving (rosemary for lamb, marjoram for beef, tarragon for chicken etc.)
- Stock (You can buy stock cubes)
- Red wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cornflour (to thicken the gravy)
- Remove the dripping pan of your roast from the oven and place on the stove top at medium heat.
- Add some water, red wine, and stock to the dripping.
- Dissolve a tablespoon of cornflour in a little cold water and add to the drip pan bit by bit, stirring continuously to avoid lumps forming.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
To dissolve: To mix dry ingredient(s) with liquid until in solution.