Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Cheese Straws
6oz of plain flour
4oz of cheddar cheese
3oz of butter
A large pinch of salt
A small pinch of cayenne pepper
1 beaten egg to glaze
- Grate the cheese finely.
- Mix the flour with the salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter using your fingertips, till crumbs form.
- Mix in the finely grated cheese.
- Whisk the egg and mix it into the flour mixture to form a dough.
- Knead the dough lightly and roll it out to 1/4" thickness.
- Cut the dough into strips 1/4" wide and 3" long.
- Place in straight lines on a greased and floured tray.
- Lightly brush the top of the strips with beaten egg.
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 10 mins, until the strips are light brown.
- Cool on a rack .
To knead: To work a dough by hand, using a folding-back and pressing-forward motion. (Not to be confused with need - knead vs need.)
To rub in: A method of incorporating fat into flour by rubbing the fat with the fingertips until it combines with the flour to form a mixture with a breadcrumb-like consistency, eg rub the butter into the flour and add enough cold water to form a smooth dough. Pastry, scones, cakes and biscuits are made using the rub in method.