Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Spotted Dick
The name unfortunately causes great hilarity in some quarters, but really it's a traditional English pudding enjoyed by many people in the UK. Usually served with custard.
8 oz. self raising flour
1/8 teaspoon of salt
6 oz. of shredded suet
6 oz. of white-bread breadcrumbs
4 oz. caster sugar
4 oz. combined sultanas, raisins, currants
1 lemon rind, grated or zested
5 to 10 tablespoons of milk
- Mix together the flour, sugar, salt, suet, dried fruit, breadcrumbs, and grated lemon.
- Keep mixing with a fork and add a little milk at a time until everything is sticking together.
- Knead until a slightly sticky dough is formed.
- Roll the dough into a cylinder (it should still be slightly sticky).
- Wrap in a single layer of foil, brushed with butter (or a double thickness of grease proof paper), and seal.
- Steam the dough for 1½ - 2 hours.
To knead: To work a dough by hand, using a folding-back and pressing-forward motion.
To mix: To beat or stir foods together until they are combined.
To steam : to cook food in the steam rising from boiling water.