Have Fun Learning English
Halloween Recipe - Pumpkin Soup
Ingredients (Serves 4)
2¼ lb/1kg pumpkin
2 onions, chopped
1oz / 25g butter
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 pint / 600ml water
1 pint / 600ml vegetable stock
5 fl oz / 150ml single cream
chopped parsley to garnish
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the skin and seeds from the pumpkin; dice the flesh.
- Fry the onions in the butter or margarine for 10 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, potato and garlic and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the water and vegetable stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Purée the mixture in a food processor or blender, add the cream and seasoning to taste.
- Heat through again gently without boiling, garnish with the chopped parsley and serve with crusty bread.
To dice: cut small uniform cubes of any solid ingredient eg cheese or carrots, first cut the food into even-sized thick strips and then slice crosswise into cubes.
To purée: press raw or cooked food through a fine
sieve or blend in a food processor or liquidiser to produce a smooth mixture.
To simmer: keep a liquid just below boiling point, usually in a pan on the hob, e.g. simmer the sauce until it starts to thicken.