Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Pound Cake
Mrs Beeton's Traditional Pound Cake
This cake is called a pound cake because of the weight of the ingredients.
1lb Caster Sugar
2oz Candied Peel
½oz Lemon Peel
½oz Sweet Almonds - blanched and chopped
Ground Mace (optional)
- Cream the butter.
- Sift in the flour.
- Add the sugar, currants, candied peel, and almonds, and mix together well.
- Whisk the eggs separately and blend thoroughly with the dry ingredients.
- Beat the cake well for 20 minutes.
- Put into a round tin, lined at the bottom and sides with a strip of buttered paper.
- Bake it for 1½ to 2 hours and in a well heated oven.