Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Parsley Sauce
Parsley sauce is traditionally served with fish.
1 pint warmed milk
40g (1½ oz) plain flour
40g (1½ oz) butter
4 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp single cream
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Stir in the flour and cook gently for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from the heat and gradually add the milk, keep stirring to avoid lumps forming.
- Bring to the boil, still stirring, simmer for about five minutes, stirring from time to time.
- When the sauce is smooth and creamy, remove the saucepan from the heat and gently stir in the chopped parsley and cream.
- Season to taste.
- Serve hot.
Although traditionally served with fish it goes well with any boiled meats, poultry or vegetables.