More English Recipes
Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Orange Marmalade Cake
175g (6oz) soft margarine
175g (6oz) caster sugar
175g (6oz) self raising flour
pinch baking powder
1 orange grated rind and juice
4 tblsp. fine cut orange marmalade
4 small thin skinned oranges, pith removed, sliced thinly
- Preheat oven to gas 5, 190c
- Lightly grease and base line a deep 7" inch cake tin.
- Using a mini mixer beat together the margarine, sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder.
- Add the orange rind and enough juice (approx 4 tbsp) to make a soft dropping consistency, add three tablespoons of the marmalade and mix carefully.
- Place the mixture in the tin and bake for 25 - 30 minutes, cool on a wire rack.
- Arrange the orange slices over the cake and brush with the remaining marmalade.
To bake: To cook in an oven.
To beat: To thoroughly combine ingredients and incorporate air with a rapid, circular motion. This may be done with a wooden spoon, wire whisk, rotary eggbeater, electric mixer or food processor.
To brush: To cover food with an even layer of liquid by applying it with a pastry brush, eg brush the pastry with beaten egg or milk to glaze.
To grease: to apply a layer of fat to a surface to prevent food from sticking, e.g. grease the baking tray with butter.
To mix: To beat or stir food ingredients together until they are combined.