Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Mulled Wine
A real winter warmer. Perfect at Christmas.
1 - 750 ml bottle of full bodied red wine
Nutmeg (to taste)
Cloves (to taste)
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup (250 ml) demorara sugar (optional)
Water (optional softener instead of tea)
4 large cinnamon sticks
4 candy canes
- Slice the lemons and oranges.
- Pour the red wine into a saucepan and gradually heat.
- Add the fruit slices, nutmeg, cinnamon stick (1) and cloves.
- Keep an eye on the mixture and wait until it becomes hot to the touch (do not bring to the boil).
- At this point you could mix in the sugar or water (to taste).
- Pour into glasses/mugs.
- Garnish each drink with a cinnamon stick.
To garnish: To add a small decoration, often edible, to a savoury dish just before serving to enhance its finished appearance.
To pour: To transfer a liquid from one container to another.
To slice: To cut something into even-sized thin pieces using a sharp knife or food processor.