Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Lent Pies
Traditionally eaten around Lent
Short crust pastry to line and top 2 or 3 medium sized plates
1 teacup full of currants
1 teacup full of raisins
1 coarsly chopped large apple
2 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 tbsp shredded candied peel
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp cinnamon
3 or 4 tbsp melted butter
- Cover the plates with short crust pastry.
- Boil eggs for 20 minutes.
- Cut the boiled egg whites into pieces and crush the yolks.
- Mix the egg, with the currants, rasins, apples, spice, sugar and peel.
- Moisten the mixture with the melted butter.
- Spread the mixture on the short crust pastry.
- Put lids of short crust pastry on top of the mixture and seal the edges.
- Moisten the tops with water and sprinkle well with sugar.
- Bake in a hot oven till the pastry is golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold.