Have Fun Learning English
Traditional Recipe - Leek and Potato Soup
Traditionally eaten to celebrate St David's Day
You can freeze this soup before adding the milk/cream.
2 tbsp butter
2 pints chicken or vegetable broth
Large pinch of salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
125 g (4 oz) glace cherries
1/2 pint milk or single cream
Parsley to decorate
- Clean and roughly chop the leeks.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and add the leeks.
- Fry the leeks, stirring frequently, until they are soft (not brown).
- Peel the potatoes and chop them into small cubes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except the milk/cream.
- Cook gently for about 20 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes in the pan. (You can use a blender if you want the soup to be extra smooth).
- Just before serving, pour the milk / cream into the soup and stir well over a gentle heat.