Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Honey Bran Knobs
A traditional farmhouse recipe
2 cupfuls flour
2/3 cupfuls butter
1/2 cupful brown sugar
1/2 cupful honey
1/2 cupful stoned raisins
Vanilla essence to taste
2 1/2 cupfuls bran
2/3 cupful milk
1/2 cupful chopped nuts
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinammon
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinammon and salt.
- Beat the eggs well.
- Melt the butter and add the sugar, honey and the beaten eggs to the melted butter.
- Mix together in a bowl.
- Dissolve the soda in the milk.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the milk.
- Stir in the raisins, nuts, bran and vanilla essence.
- Mix well and drop teaspoon sized portions of the mixture on to a well-greased baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven (190° C / 375° F / gas mark 5) for about 10 minutes.
To beat: To thoroughly combine ingredients and incorporate air with a rapid, circular motion. This may be done with a wooden spoon, wire whisk, rotary eggbeater, electric mixer or food processor.
To dissolve: To mix dry ingredient with liquid until in solution.
To melt: Use a high temperature to turn a solid fat into a liquid.
To mix: To beat or stir food ingredients together until they are combined.
To sift: To put dry ingredients such as flour or sugar through a sifter or mesh screen to loosen particles and incorporate air.
To stir: To agitate an ingredient or a number of ingredients using a hand held tool such as a spoon.