Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Fisherman's Pie
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1 lb 10 oz white fish fillets
1 onion (chopped)
2 oz butter
2tbsp plain flour
2tbsp finely chopped parsley
1 ½ lb potatoes
Pinch of ground nutmeg
2 tbsp hot milk
3 tbps grated cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Put the fish in a non-stick pan and cover with the cold milk.
- Add the chopped onion and cloves and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes until the fish is cooked (flakes easily with a fork).
- Drain the fish from the pan (keep the milk and onions for later).
- Allow the fish to cool.
- Remove any bones and flake the fish into bite size pieces.
- Peel and quarter the potatoes.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- Drain the potatoes, and add the hot milk and half the butter.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Stir the grated cheese into the mashed potatoes.
- Heat the other half of the butter in a pan.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring all the time, for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the reserved milk, stirring all the time, until smooth and creamy.
- Remove from the heat and add the nutmeg and parsley.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste and fold in the fish.
- Spoon the mixture into an ovenproof dish.
- Spoon the mash over the mixture. (You can sprinkle more grated cheese over it if you want).
- Bake for 30 minutes.
To fold: A method of gently mixing ingredients. The lighter mixture is placed on top of the heavier mixture, then the two are combined by passing a spatula down through the mixture, across the bottom, and up over the top.