Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Coronation Chicken
2.3kg (5lb) chicken
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small, finely chopped onion
1 tbsp curry paste
1 tbsp tomato puree
100ml red wine
1 bay leaf
1/2 lemon juice
4 finely chopped apricot halves
300ml (1/2 pint) Mayonnaise
100ml (4 fl oz) whipping cream
Salt and pepper
Watercress to garnish
- Remove the skin from the chicken and cut the meat into small pieces.
- Grill the chicken pieces until cooked.
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil, and fry the onion for about three minutes, until softened.
- Add the curry paste, tomato puree, wine, bay leaf and lemon juice.
- Simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes until well reduced.
- Strain the mixture and leave to cool.
- Puree the chopped apricot halves in a blender or food processor or through a sieve.
- Beat the cooled sauce into the mayonnaise with the apricot puree.
- Whip the cream to stiff peaks and fold into the mixture.
- Season, adding a little extra lemon juice if necessary.
- Fold in the chicken pieces, garnish with watercress and serve.
To fold: A method of gently mixing ingredients. The lighter mixture is placed on top of the heavier mixture, then the two are combined by passing a spatula down through the mixture, across the bottom, and up over the top. This process continues until the mixtures are combined.