Have Fun Learning English
Traditional Christmas Recipe - Christmas Cake
Christmas cakes are very rich and dark and contain just about every dried fruit you can think of,
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cinnamon
a pinch of salt
½ lb butter
¾ lb soft brown sugar
½ lb currants
½ lb sultanas
¼ lb shredded candied peel and almonds
tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ lb glacé cherries
½ pint stout or milk
- Sift the flour.
- Add the salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Rub in the butter.
- Add the sugar, currants, sultanas, shredded candied peel, and almonds.
- Lightly beat the eggs
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in a little milk or water and add to the beaten eggs.
- Mix with the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the cherries.
- Mix in the stout or milk. (Stout gives colour and flavour to the cake).
- Put the mixture into a well-greased, lined tin.
- Bake in a moderate oven, for about 3 hours or until a skewer comes clean.
- Decorate to taste.
To rub in: A method of incorporating fat into flour by rubbing the fat with the fingertips until it combines with the flour to form a mixture with a breadcrumb-like consistency, eg rub the butter into the flour and add enough cold water to form a smooth dough. Pastry, scones, cakes and biscuits are made using the rub in method.