Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Bread and Butter Pudding
This is a great way to use up slightly stale bread.
30 g butter
8 thick slices of day old bread
2 tbsp sultanas
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
3 eggs (beaten)
2 tsp vanilla essence
700 ml milk
125 ml cream
1 tbsp demerara sugar
- Grease an ovenproof dish (about 9" diameter).
- Butter the sliced bread.
- Cut the slices in half diagonally and layer it in the ovenproof dish.
- Mix together the sultanas, caster sugar and mixed spice.
- Whisk the eggs, vanilla, milk and cream and pour over the bread.
- Leave to stand for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Sprinkle the demerara sugar over the top of the soaked bread.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the custard around the bread has set.
- Serve hot with custard or cream.