Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Apple Crumble
This delicious recipe is a favourite pudding for Sunday dinner, and it is so easy to make.
Original photo by dichecho.
1 ½ lb (200g) cooking apples
6oz Castor sugar
1oz Demorara sugar
½ lb Self-raising flour
¼ lb Butter
- Grease a 2 pint over proof dish.
- Peel and slice the apples.
- Mix the apples with 2 oz of sugar and put into the oven proof dish.
- Chop the butter into cubes.
- Place butter and flour into a mixing bowl and rub in using fingertips until crumbs form.
- Stir in the rest of the sugar (4 oz).
- Sprinkle the rubbed in mixture over the apples and press down lightly.
- Bake for an hour in a preheated oven at 350°F.
- Serve hot or cold with custard or cream.
To rub in: A method of incorporating fat into flour by rubbing the fat with the fingertips until it combines with the flour to form a mixture with a breadcrumb-like consistency, eg rub the butter into the flour and add enough cold water to form a smooth dough. Pastry, scones, cakes and biscuits are made using the rub in method.
!Note - you can vary the fruit, or add other dry ingredients like chopped nuts or oatmeal into the crumble mix.