Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Potato Soup
Ingredients (Serves 4)
2 tbsp butter or lard
1 carrot, peeled & chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 leek, cleaned & chopped
3 sprigs parsley, chopped
1 large onion, diced
1 lb potatoes, peeled, washed & diced
2 litres beef stock (or less)
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp chopped parsley (garnish)
- Heat the butter or lard in a large pan.
- Place the vegetables, parsley and onion in the pan and fry until the onion becomes transparent.
- Add the potatoes and enough stock to cover all the vegetables.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, stir well and cook
until the potatoes are tender all the way through and
- Remove about a third of the potatoes from the pot.
- Mash the remaining two-thirds and return to the pot for thickening the soup.
- Reheat the soup. Test for seasoning, garnish with the 2 tbsp chopped parsley and serve.