Learn English Free
Traditional English Recipe - Mushy Peas
Mushy peas are a traditional accompaniment to the great British fish and chips. You need to start making them at least a day in advance (or you can buy them in a tin).
Original photo by mrbill
Bicarbonate of soda tablets
Water Sugar, salt and pepper (to taste)
- Dissolve the bicarbonate tablets (they usually come in a box) in one and a half pints of boiling water.
- Pour the solution over the dried peas.
- Leave to soak overnight, or for at least 12 to 16 hours.
- Drain the peas, then put them in a saucepan and just cover them with cold, fresh water.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once they have turned mushy add salt, pepper, sugar, butter and mint to taste.