Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Lemon Curd
Lemon curd, (also sometimes known as lemon cheese) is a traditional British dessert topping and sandwich spread.
120 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
80g caster sugar
90g unsalted butter
Pinch of salt (optional, to bring out sweetness and flavor of finished product)
- Grate the rind of the lemon(s) to produce two tablespoons of zest.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon(s) to produce 120ml of juice.
- Cut the butter into small squares.
- Put eggs, zest, sugar, and salt into a cool saucepan.
- Whisk the ingredients in the pan till frothy and light in colour (a minute or two).
- Add lemon juice and whisk for 30 seconds more.
- Add butter chunks.
- Heat the saucepan on a medium-to-low heat.
- Whisk constantly till the butter melts and the mixture thickens, then whisk another two minutes. (Do not let the mixture boil).
- Strain the mixture into a bowl to remove the zest and any egg lumps.
- Pour the mixture from the bowl into a sterilized jar to within 1/4 inch (0.75cm) from the top, taking care not to get mixture on rim, then seal the jar with a lid.
- Refrigerate to thicken the product further.