Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Cherry Slices
It's cherry season here, but don't worry these delicious cakes don't need fresh cherries.
Ingredients (Makes about 24 slices)
For the base
8oz plain flour
2oz icing sugar
8oz butter (chopped)
For the topping
3oz castor sugar
2tsp vanilla essence
3oz chopped hazlenuts
5oz red glace (glazed) cherries
- Heat the oven to 415°F. Grease and line a 7 x 11 inch shallow tin.
- Sift together the icing sugar and flour into a mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped butter and rub in until the mixture forms a dough.
- Press the dough into the prepared tin and bake for 15 minutes (till light golden brown)
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Add the caster sugar, milk and vanilla essence.
- Stir over a low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring the sugar mixture to the boil, then remove from heat.
- Stir the hazlenuts and cherries into the mixture.
- Spread the topping over the base.
- Bake for a further 15 - 20 minutes.
- Cut into slices, while still warm.
- Allow to cool before serving.