Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Bubble and Squeak
You can make this fresh, but it is traditionally for using up leftovers from a Sunday roast, in fact after Christmas you can replace the cabbage with cooked sprouts, and for extra flavour you can add bits of bacon. It is traditionally served with cold meat from the Sunday roast, and pickles, or you can add it to a full English breakfast. The name probably refers to the noise it makes while it's cooking.
1 pound of cold boiled potatoes
2 ounces of dripping or lard
8 ounces cooked cabbage
Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chop the onion.
- Roughly chop the cabbage.
- Mash the potatoes .
- In a frying pan melt half the fat and lightly fry the onion.
- Mix in the potato and greens and season to taste.
- Add a bit more fat.
- Press the bubble into the hot fat and fry over a moderate heat until browned underneath.
- Turn the bubble over, add the last of the fat and fry until the other side is browned.