Have Fun Learning English
Traditional English Recipe - Bakewell Tart
Bakewell tart is a traditional British dessert. It's very sweet, but if you like almonds, extremely moreish. It was recently named Britains favourite baked treat. This is Lynne's favourite recipe.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
6 oz short crust pastry (You can buy pre baked pie crusts in the UK)
For the filling2oz butter
2oz castor sugar
2oz raspberry jam
1 lemon - remove 2tsp lemon rind and 2tsp lemon juice
1 oz cake crumbs
2oz ground almonds
Flaked almonds for decoration
- Roll out the pastry evenly and line the flan ring.
- Beat the butter and sugar to a cream.
- Add 2 tsp grated lemon rind and beat in the eggs.
- Mix in cake crumbs, ground almonds and lemon juice.
- Spread the mixture into the pastry case. (Use any leftover pastry for decorative strips.)
- Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the tart.
- Bake for 20 mins at 400°F, until the centre is firm to the touch.