Learn English Free
Learn English on Google Plus
Chat and Conversational English Practice on Google Plus
Practise your English with us on Google Plus
As part of our English for Friendship philosophy, we have a friendly little community on Google Plus and we run regular sessions using Google hangouts.
What do you need to do?
- To join hangouts on Google Plus you will need a Google Plus account.
- To join any of our Google+ Hangouts you will also need to be a member of our Learn English on Google+ community.
- We often share videos in our hangouts, so make sure you have the YouTube application installed in your hangout settings.
- To find a session, check the calendar and before the session starts go to the LEN Community and look under "Events".
- You can sign up for an event before it starts, or join it when it starts.
- Try to be on time.
- If you have taken part in a session, posting about it in the community or on the forum is really appreciated. Your feedback helps us to improve future sessions.
What do we do in the sessions?
- Google + with Amatsu - In Amatsu's hangouts we try to keep the English relatively easy. We will share some items or discussions based on topics from the forum or the G+ community. These sessions are aimed at building your vocabulary and pointing out some points of grammar.
- Google + - In Lynne's hangouts we often use the time for a bit of listening practice,. This means active listening, so be prepared to listen to a podcast, a song, a video or access an mp3 file online and to ask/answer questions about it.
- Google + - LEN Radio - In Aladdin's hangout anything can happen. You can listen to some of the sessions on Aladdin's YouTube page.
What should you do in the sessions?
When you enter any hangout for the first time make sure your microphone is muted and check what is going on. If it's appropriate, type "Hi" in the chat window.
If you want to speak type "mic" in the chat window and if the moderator will call you to take the microphone. You can then talk by clicking on the microphone on your hangout panel and speaking into the mic, (don't forget to mute your mic when you've finished).
If we are sharing a video, don't click on the video. It affects everyone in the room.
We use the following codes:-
- mic = I want to say something.
- 111 to show we can hear you
- 222 means we can't hear you
- 2121 means your sound is breaking up
- ??? = I don't understand.
We don't mind if you just want to listen to start with, but you will be encouraged to speak.
How much does it cost?
As usual, all the activities we run are free, thanks to our lovely sponsors.
The cost to you is your time and participation.
We realise not everyone can take part in our sessions, so we will try to publish details of our past hangouts in the forum.
Oh and don't worry if you're having a "bad hair day", we don't use web cams, voice is enough.
As ever, we encourage you to take part in the wider Google plus community. We aren't the only people running hangouts, and you can find chat rooms on practically any subject. You could even start one of your own.
For more information and guidelines please read the English Chat page. By taking part in any of our sessions, you agree to be bound by these rules and guidelines.
We might record the sessions for streaming on the web. By participating in a session, we take it that that is okay with you.